Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Fairy Land Gazette

We recently completed a very fun project for school! Chase and Avery wrote a newspaper called The Fairy Land Gazette. We read original fairy tales from the Brothers Grimm, Charles Perrault, and the colored "Fairy" books edited by Andrew Lang. We also read a book of Mother Goose Rhymes. Then, the boys wrote newspaper articles about some of the fairy tales we read.

I asked them to include the "Who, What, When,Where, Why, and How" of every story in our report. I also requested that they identify a "moral" to each story. They wrote an outline first, then wrote the article for the newspaper. Next, we checked for the correct spelling and punctuation, and to make sure the story made sense. Once they made all the corrections, we put the story in the newspaper.

They also drew all of the pictures for the newspaper. You'll notice that some of the details of the stories are different from what you might remember, since the fairy tales we read were not the more commonly known "Disney" versions. They had a lot of fun with this project. One thing I want to point out is that during our final edits, I instructed the boys in the use of a Thesaurus. They really enjoyed looking for "big words" to include in the newspaper articles. You'll probably notice one or two of those!
With that, we proudly present the inaugural edition of the
The Fairy Land Gazette:

1 comment:

  1. This is amazing. I'm glad I found your blog.
    Grandpa Hippen

    ReplyDelete