Wednesday, March 9, 2011

"Adult Skills"







As part of our homeschool program, I have created a series of "classes" to teach my children what we call "Adult Skills" . . . keep your mind in the zone of purity, folks! These are children we're talking about here! Anyway, these classes are all designed to give them experience doing things they will need to do all on their own once they become adults and move out of the house to be responsible grown ups (the whole point of raising them, don't you think?). I give them a binder with the syllabi for these classes when they are 8 or 9 years old (depending on their readiness), and they choose which ones to work on each month. They are simple things, like baking, grocery shopping, laundry and ironing, simple home repairs, car maintenance, yard work, etc., etc. So far, only Chase is "officially" working on his Adult Skills classes, but the little ones like to play along in preparation for their turn! Here I am posting a few photos of Chase's mastery of baking Snickerdoodles and painting a wall. Plus, there are some bonus photos of his younger admirers. You can see that no one wants to be left out of the fun!

2 comments:

  1. Such cute kiddos! And I totally agree that the whole point of our jobs as parents is to put ourselves out of a job eventually! Looks like you are doing a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I am up for Vespa's 5am feeding and I saw this posting and I think this is a great idea! My mom homeschooled all of us kids and she did something like this with teaching us money with profit, net and gross, by having a bake sale where we make the goodies and had to figure out how much profit we made factoring in all our other outside cost. Anyways love it! After being a junior high and high school English and Drama teacher, I don't see any benefit of my kids going through the public junior/middle school system. So seeing this makes me smile and remember back to my homeschooling days;)

    ReplyDelete