However, my BFF is pregnant now, so we stopped the blog last fall and agreed not to discuss these things with each other during this time when she is growing and blossoming and gaining weight in the most beautiful way. Meanwhile, however, I have been trying to kick my makeover into high gear and have been setting new goals, studying the science of fitness and nutrition and trying to apply this learning in my life like never before. And I have missed sharing this journey with her! My partner in these goals lately is my Nate, and he has been awesome to support me and put up with me this whole time.
I often see people post stuff to Facebook about achieving weight loss goals, or about their success in reaching their fitness goals. And, when I see that, I am genuinely impressed and excited for them! But, I am way too shy to post anything about my own goals or successes, even though I am SO excited about them. So, I am finally going to break my own rules about sharing these things and dedicate this blog post to my fitness journey. But, it's okay, because I have exactly two blog readers, instead of hundreds of friends on Facebook. Sharing without the risk!
So, here goes:
You probably know that I used to be a big runner. I have always wanted to be some kind of an athlete, but I never had the opportunity or talent when I was younger. I also grew up not knowing too much about health and nutrition. In my home, "nutrition" was a vague reference to vegetables, which I knew I didn't like and avoided whenever possible. As a youth, I was told that if I wanted to grow up to be a wife and mom, I had better "resign myself" to the fact that I was going to be fat and frumpy--there was really no way to avoid it.
I didn't have much hope of escaping that fate, but on the off-chance that I might, I took up running in college because it was simple and cheap. It worked okay for a while, but as predicted, after a number of babies and in my mid-thirties, it wasn't doing the job very well anymore. Then, Nate introduced me to P90X, and I fell in love with fitness! I started to reach some of my goals, but I got derailed from all of that when we decided to bring little Trey into the world. Totally worth it . . . but it caused me a long setback and a LOT of work.
That was an ugly pregnancy! I was sick, miserable, exhausted, and gained over 60 pounds before it was over. Luckily, about half of that weight just dropped right off after Trey was born, but I still had a long way to go, without the benefit of it just naturally "melting away." I had to go to work. I wanted to start right away, but then Nate got blood clots and we moved to our new house and I had another baby who didn't sleep well. So it took me a while to really get going.
Nevertheless, I lost about 20 more pounds by the time Trey was a year old and stopped breastfeeding. Awesome! But, I wasn't even down to my pre-pregnancy weight yet and I hit a major plateau after I stopped breastfeeding. That plateau lasted for about six months before I really revved things up again. I started eating better and cleaner, set more specific, scientifically designed goals, and changed up my workouts and intensity.
It was tons of hard work. I had to learn a lot, change myself a lot, and sacrifice a lot of things that I didn't want to sacrifice (although nothing that would compromise my ability to attend to my family!). And I have had to really work on finding a balance, so that I could avoid losing my mind and enjoy treats now and then without compromising my goals.
BUT, it has worked beautifully! I am so excited to report that I have reached most of my fitness goals so far! I have reached my pre-pregnancy weight and gone way beyond that. In fact, I now weigh less than when Nate and I got married 14 years ago! Even the clothes in my "skinny" box in the closet are too big now! What's even better is that I am physically fit and toned a whole lot more than I was then. So, that basically means that I am now in the very best shape of my life, as a 42-year-old-stay-at-home-homeschooling-mother-of-four. Seriously! I almost can't believe it myself, except that I have the numbers to prove it!
And here's more proof, in the form of pictures, which I would be too embarrassed to post anywhere else, and wasn't even sure I would do it at all. But sometimes when I look at thin and fit people, I assume they lucked out with good genes or that weight loss came easily to them. And maybe that's true for some. But most of us are just a work in progress, perfectly imperfect, and working hard to improve all of the time. So, my pictures here are just to show that imperfect part of me. I will never be a supermodel because my skin is too white and my chest is too small (*sigh!*), but you can all forgive me for that, right?
| Here I am earlier this year, working out on my strength and flexibility, and even including my lovely daughter! Have I mentioned how much I always hated push-ups? I rock them now! |
| More working out . . . oh, so much working out! I love it! |
| Drinking my Shakeology! Thanks, Beachbody! |
| Nutrition has been absolutely key for me; which is another reason for my excitement about making my own whole grain breads. |
| Sorry; some half naked pictures here! Nate took them for me to show my awesome muscle tone! But mostly he took them so that I could submit them to Beachbody for a free T-shirt and water bottle. |
| Nate is scared of this picture because of my big guns and toned shoulders. Look out! |
| Shoulder and back muscles after months of overload. |
| This was supposed to show my obliques, but really you can just see my white skin. |
| Fully clothed . . . phewsh! |
| A work in progress, but SO proud to have accomplished what I have! |
| My Victory Pose |
| My Tough Girl Pose |
And to be honest, the part of this for which I am most grateful is that I feel absolutely awesome: healthy and really full of energy and vigor, probably more so than ever in my adult life. And this is especially important to me because I am a very busy mom, with a lot of important things I need to do for my family, and I need to live a long and full life in order to accomplish the mission I have been sent here to do. I have been extremely blessed to be able to learn, and to keep learning, how to prudently care for my body so that I can do what the Lord wants me to do on earth. What an amazing blessing!
So, now aren't you proud of me?

Well done! I never thought you looked fat, but I also understand that people have different thresholds for what feels fat for them. You look amazing now! and that chicken with quinoa looks delicious, I may have to whip some up this week!
ReplyDelete