(Well, probably the person who loses.)
Anyway, I'm posting today about another fun event we did in May: the big boys participated in their first Fencing Tournament!
This was a lot of fun and a good experience as the boys have been developing their skills in this new sport. And, not only that, they both did very well! Avery finished the tournament with a Bronze Medal for his age group, and Chase achieved the Silver Medal for his. Awesome!
The competition was much more intense than the practice bouts they do during class. We just wanted to do it for the fun of the experience, but as they started to perform well, we got excited for them and then we really wanted them to win. Haha! I was a total nervous wreck! I had to leave early with the littlest ones, because Trey needed a nap before the tournament was over. But, Chase made it all the way to the championship round! So, Nate had to FaceTime me during the final bouts so I could watch Chase in live action. It was really interesting to see them practice their skills and learn in more detail about the rules and strategies of a combat sport that is new to all of us. Both Chase and Avery are very technically accurate in their skills. It was fun to watch!
Here are some pictures of the tournament:
| Avery is the guy on the right with the stripe down his pants, lunging at his opponent. |
| Here Avery is awaiting the call from the judge (they were very helpful in explaining their point system). |
| Mom and Coco enjoying the competition. |
| It was a long morning, so during breaks we went outside to run on the grass and pick the "flowers." |
| At first, Avery was disappointed when he was eliminated from the running, but then he found out he had achieved the Bronze Medal. So, he managed a charming little smile for us! |
| The medal winners for ages 8-10. |
| Avery with his coach. |
| Man, I love this kid! |
| Chase is the fencer on the right with white shoes. This boy can fence! |
| Chase is facing us here, scoring a point against his opponent. |
| Ready? Fence! |
| The Medal Winners and coaches. |
| Chase was the Silver Medal winner! |
| The two fencers in the championship round. So proud! |
Man in Black: [intrigued] You've done nothing but study sword-play?
Inigo Montoya: More pursue than study lately. You see, I cannot find him... it's been twenty years now and I'm starting to lose confidence. I just work for Vizzini to pay the bills. There's not a lot of money in revenge.
[after a moments silence, the Man in black stands up and prepares to battle]
Man in Black: Well I certainly hope you find him someday.
Inigo Montoya: You are ready then?
Man in Black: Whether I am or not, you've been more than fair.
Inigo Montoya: [drawing his sword] You seem a decent fellow... I hate to kill you.
Man in Black: You seem a decent fellow... I hate to die.
Inigo Montoya: [confidently] Begin.
Ready? Fence!
No comments:
Post a Comment