Monday, June 13, 2011

Buggin'



Primarily because no one in the family had been to the doctor's office for a few days, Avery decided it was time for his annual infected bug bite! Check out the impressive photo above. The lines were drawn to show the spread of the swelling between Saturday and Sunday. Wow! The culprit responsible (the bug) must have found Avery at Cub Scout Camp on Friday. The swelling had spread so much that by Sunday after church, we decided we had better not wait any longer to get it checked out. They treat these infections as a mild case of cellulitis, and prescribe antibiotics to clear it up. But I have to wonder, since this has happened to him so often, if there is another cause, or another way to treat it. The doctor we saw at the weekend clinic seemed unclear, and she nearly scared Avery to death by mentioning repeatedly the ER and the need for IV meds. Really? However, it does match all the symptoms for cellulitis, and hasn't responded to allergy medication, while it tends to clear up quickly after starting antibiotics (augmentin). So, I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. Any thoughts?


I will add that we're getting a little tired of medical offices lately. Between pregnancy visits, followed by labor and delivery in April, follow-up appointments for Baby Trey (including a 2-hour diagnostic at 3 weeks old because he didn't pass his hearing screening at the hospital), my mastitis infection and postpartum check-ups, Nate's hospitalization and follow-up doctor's appointments, and now Avery's bug bite . . . I think I've seen a little more of the Kaiser offices and pharmacies than I really care to see for a long time! Of course, I have well-child appointments scheduled for Trey and Courtney on Friday of this week . . . *sigh!* The next person to need the doctor after that will be grounded on the spot!



By the way, can YOU spot Buzz Lightyear in the photo above????? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment