When I was young, nutrition meant that my Dad was on one of his kicks to get us to eat whole grain breads, more vegetables, or to drink lowfat milk. Those kicks never lasted very long at our house! And after I grew up and was on my own, I had barely enough skill in the kitchen to get by, but certainly not to thrive. I used to be a mediocre cook, and I used to believe that convenient and fast were best, and I used to have very little understanding of how my food choices effect my body and my health.
And the best thing of all is that I have learned that GOOD, REAL food is both delicious AND helps me to feel much better! I almost never get headaches any more; I have tons more energy; and I am maintaining a healthy weight. And my family is enjoying the same benefits! We do NOT take an extreme approach. We try not to eat too much. We try not to eat too little. We try to make as much of our food at home, with whole ingredients, as is reasonable considering our schedule. I also make most of our bread myself. We eat a lot more whole grains, fruits and vegetables, lean protein, and healthy fats. We still enjoy our treats here and there, for sure! We just don't eat them all the time, every day.
Honestly, whenever I get confused about nutrition because of hearing conflicting points of view or extreme positions one way or another, I tend to find myself heading back to the Word of Wisdom for a little perspective. It can be found here: www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/89. This commandment is full of interesting advice--not just advice about what to AVOID putting into our bodies, but great advice on what we SHOULD eat. And, as far as I can tell, it doesn't justify any extreme positions when it comes to food, but instructs us on what has been provided for us to use to fuel and nourish our earthly bodies. I, for one, am extremely grateful that the Lord, knowing the challenges our dispensation would encounter, provided us with guidelines of how to care for the bodies He has given us!
This fall I have had the challenge of finding healthy recipes that I can put into my crock pot to prepare for dinner. We have such a busy schedule that I have a few times each week when I know I will not be home at the dinner hour to prepare our food. So, I need things to be ready to go when we arrive. I have LOVED this adventure, and have found lots of yummy, easy, and healthy crock pot meals! Check out this concoction that I put together yesterday:
| Basil Chicken with Feta Cheese |
Another fun thing I have been making in my crock pot lately is a variation on my blueberry steel cut oatmeal for breakfast. It's a perfect alteration for fall!
| Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal! |
I'm also having fun making up salads, and copied a delicious one from a restaurant that had spinach, grilled chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, diced avocados, and parmesan shavings, drizzled with a homemade lemon vinaigrette that adds an amazing zip to an amazing salad. Yum! One of my new favorites! I used to have a picture, but I must have deleted it. This is a main dish salad because it has chicken in it, but I have to serve this with homemade rolls to provide the calories needed by my growing children and strapping husband!
The BEST thing I have made recently, however, is a delicious homemade salsa with tomatoes we grew in our own garden!
| Home-grown tomatoes! |
I could go on and on about food. I spend plenty of time thinking about it, planning it, shopping for it, preparing it, and cleaning up after it. Oh, and I spend a small fraction of that time actually eating it!!!! Every day it is a little bit like an "art project" for me to provide good quality, healthy, delicious food for my family. I will probably post more about this in the future, but don't count on me becoming a food blogger anytime soon. Haha!
That basil feta chicken looks delicious! Isn't nutrition fun? I love coming up with yummy food for the family!
ReplyDeleteI know, right? Scooby, I seem to remember that you are a food blogger...is that right? If so, what is your blog address? I would love to check it out!
DeleteI'm a terrible food blogger, I don't do posts very often, although I am probably going to do a post on bread this week! the address is: http://veggiesformykids.blogspot.com/
ReplyDelete