Friday, January 30, 2015

Can Someone Tell Me Where My Little Boy Has Gone?

Earlier today, Chase was having trouble finding his cell phone.  We knew it was somewhere in the house, but it was not in the usual places.  So I called his cell number from my phone so that we could hear it ringing and possibly identify its location.  As I let it ring, the call went to voice mail and I was SHOCKED as I listened to Chase's voice mail greeting.  SHOCKED!  He recorded that out-going message only just over six months ago; and when I heard it, I realized that I was hearing my "little boy" again!  His voice has changed so much over the last few months that I hardly recognize it anymore.  Sometimes I am so surprised to see this tall, deep-voiced young man with big feet and whiskers wandering around my house.  Who is this handsome kid?  And where is the little Chase that used to live here?

I'm not gonna lie--this is tough for a mama!  I LOVE the young man that Chase has become.  He is hard-working, capable, kind, thoughtful, funny, strong, confident, clever and witty.  I was so pleased with him earlier this week when he asked me to review a writing assignment that he was preparing for his online BYU class.  I had a few changes to recommend, and then I pointed to one sentence and said, "I have no idea what this sentence means.  Or what you are trying to say here.  At all."  And he just laughed and said, "I don't know either!"  Haha!  No defensiveness.  No resistance to criticism.  No anger.  He understood that I was offering critical feedback, and teasing him a little bit at the same time.  And he took it in the loving way it was intended.  That takes a lot of confidence and maturity for a kid his age.  Heck, for a kid, or adult, at any age!  I am SO thankful for that!  What an awesome guy!

BUT, I gotta say, I miss this kid:
Chase's first Turkey Trot!

Such a sweet big bro to that cute baby Coco!

Awwwwww!

They were so little!

Trey still plays with this toy!

Cutie in his Halloween costume!
And just look at this gorgeous young man now:

Officially taller than me.  Reaching the stuff off the highest shelves for me.  And I swear, if I listen hard enough, I can hear his bones creaking and groaning and stretching.  Haha!  I think he passed his Daddy in height just this week!
.
Still doing Turkey Trots!

Tall, dark and handsome!

Nate and Chase assembled this shelf for the boys' bathroom last Saturday.  Nate loves that he can get his help with this stuff now!  P.S. Don't you love this shirt I got for Nathan for Christmas?

A beautiful day in January called for doing schoolwork outside on the deck!

Chase practices for loooooooong periods every day.  After a while, his back gets sore.  So one day he tried a more ergonomic seating option.  Ha!  It was a little too bouncy, though! :)

Chase and Avery working out together!  I'm trying to pass along my love for fitness to these boys.  But they'll soon be much stronger than me!

Where the heck does Chase get that amazing back flexibility?  I hate this pose; but he rocks it!
I used to wish I could magically freeze time and keep him little forever.  But life inevitably keeps rolling along!  I have loved my Chase fiercely from the moment I knew he existed.  I used to cuddle him in my arms, and now he makes me feel small.  I don't know how it happened so dang fast, but I am so grateful that I have been able to see him progressing through these wonderful years of his life!  Thank goodness for little boys AND for young men!




No comments:

Post a Comment