Thursday, April 21, 2016

TASHCO Young Artists' Festival 2016

I don't know which piano competition is bigger or more prestigious or more difficult, but to me, TASHCO just feels bigger because it takes so much longer than the Broomfield Piano Festival.  Instead of having the auditions and competitions and performances in just one day, TASHCO takes place over a few weeks.  The auditions, competitions, and final concert all happen on different days and it takes much longer to get the results.  But actually, I think that is part of the fun!

And this year, TASHCO was great fun, because both Chase and Avery took first place in their age divisions...AGAIN!  This was a repeat performance (a three-peat for Chase!) because the results were the same last year.  And I was equally as thrilled and humbled and proud as I was last year and the year before.  I do know how hard they practice, and I see how well-prepared they are, and I am amazed by their talent.  But, STILL...I have been surprised and shocked and pleased each time they have succeeded in these competitions.  It's just so exciting!

One thing about this year's competition that made it even a little more special was that it happened the same week (and even partly on the same DAY) as our sweet Trey and Daddy's birthday, April 14.  Chase had competed the night before, and we got word first thing on the big birthday that he had won his competition.  And Avery competed on the very evening of the big birthday, after which we came home for the ice cream and cake celebration.  We got word first thing the next morning that Avery had won.  Yippee!  And finally, both boys played in the final TASCHO concert on the same day we had Trey's little birthday party.  So, it was a big, happy, piano and birthday palooza week that was really fun and special!

First, see below for a few pictures of the boys at their competitions, followed by the videos of their competition pieces.  Such an excellent experience!

Chase was ready!  And I mean he really was ready!  He was calm and confident and excited because he was very well-prepared.  Of course, we didn't know going in, who else was going to be as well or better prepared.  But even with that uncertainty, it was nice to see that Chase had faith, based on knowing how much he had prepared, and helping him to remain poised for his performance.  Regardless, it's hard NOT to feel at least a tinge of anxiety during those last few minutes before the competition begins! 
Looking good, too!

And AVERY!  He was ready, too.  This one could hardly have made a mistake with the thoroughness of his preparation.  And, bless him, he struggled mightily with practicing one particular song for this competition.  But he did it anyway, every day, and it paid off!  I saw him shake off his anxiety at the last minute and rise to the occasion with the confidence of someone who knows he has done the work to be there!

I got a picture of Avery in the warm-up room.  "Don't look left.  Don't look right.  And don't stop for anything!"
This picture was taken after the competition was over, as the room was clearing of people.  I just LOVE the expression on his face, which is a mixture of relief that it is over and pride in knowing he had done well.  I felt the competition in Avery's group was pretty stiff!  There were so many good performances!  My untrained ear couldn't predict a clear winner, but I knew he Avery had played really well.  I was SO pleased to find out he had won!

Terrible picture, but this is Avery getting his certificate with the other winning students in his age division at the final concert.

Another bad picture, but this is Chase getting his certificate with the other award winners in his age division.

We wanted a picture on stage with the piano after the concert, but the lighting was pretty terrible, so this was the best I got.

Here they are with their teacher, Cheryl Reeder, and some of her other winning students.  Again, the lighting was really bad, but you get the idea!

The pictures out in the hall after the concert were a little better in terms of lighting, and in terms of being able to add this goofy little brother.  By the way, did I mention there was a huge snowstorm on the day of the final concert?  That's why Trey was wearing his winter coat.  Thankfully, although it was a big storm, the roads were warm enough that they didn't get icy.  So the show went on as scheduled!

Happy winners!  We just love these guys!
And here are the links to the videos of their competition pieces.  Please ignore the poor video quality, particularly the shakiness of the videos of Chase.  Just enjoy the music!

Avery playing Dr. Gradus at the 2016 TASHCO Competition

Avery playing a Kuhlau Sonatina at the 2016 TASHCO Competition

Chase playing a Bach Prelude and Fugue at the 2016 TASHCO Competition

Chase playing Liebestraum by Liszt at the 2016 TASCHO Competition

No comments:

Post a Comment