Friday, December 6, 2013

Gobble, Gobble!

I love Thanksgiving!  Family time.  Crisp autumn air.  Running.  Food, food, food!  Gratitude.  Abundance.  What's not to love?

We enjoyed this year's holiday so much!  We began our Thanksgiving Day the way we have begun so many in the past: the BEST way to begin Thanksgiving Day--running a Turkey Trot!  We found a fun one to run really close to us in Broomfield.  The weather was absolutely perfect--cold, but not too cold; and sunny and crisp.  The only unfortunate thing was that Trey had a miserable cold and had not slept well overnight.  So, while waiting for us Trotters, Daddy had to sit with him in the car for a while because being outside was just too cold.  Also, we didn't win a pie.  Do we EVER?  Oh well.  Regardless, it was an otherwise perfect morning!

Me and my Little Turkey Trotters!  They were all game to wear the funny hats this year and I loved it!  Avery chose to wear the live turkey hat because he said it made more sense than wearing a roasted turkey hat.  Ummmmmm, okay!  Funny Avery!  Coco and I wore matching Turkey Tiaras.  Super fun!

The Whole Crew!  The Elders from our ward were there volunteering, so we asked them to take a picture of all of us.  I am so thankful that Nathan has always been so supportive of me in doing these little runs, always happy to stay with the little ones while I preemptively work off the holiday calories.  Thank you, My Beloved!

Oh, this Little Beauty!  I am so proud of her for running the Bumpkin Pumpkin Dash for Kids.  She ran a full half mile all by herself!

Here is Miss Coco right after she crossed the finish line.

Showing us her Participants' Ribbon!

My Running Buddies!

Here is Chase crossing the finish line after the 5k.  Nice run!

I ran the 5k with Avery.  Here we are coming up to the finish line!  We were almost at the end of the race and I asked Avery if he wanted to start sprinting.  He said he didn't know because he was struggling with a side stitch.  But then he surprised me and took off in a sprint for the last 100 yards or so.  That boy is so fast!  I did my best to keep up!

More cuties!

Oh, this poor little guy!  He was so miserable and cold.  We didn't have his mittens, so we had to teach him to keep his hands in his little pockets.  But, he still managed to be cute!

After the Turkey Trot, we returned home to finish preparing our Thanksgiving meal and to let little Trey take a nap.  We ate Thanksgiving Dinner by ourselves again this year.  We always miss our families at this time because we miss enjoying this holiday meal with them.  We also miss having other people to help with the cooking!  And with the eating!  However, we also appreciate a cozy family day.  And that's exactly what this day was.  Besides, the food was delicious!

It's funny that I have a picture of this "wrapped" but not unwrapped!  This was a free cherry pie that was sent to us by one of Nate's business associates.  It was made by one of those premiere local bakeries that sell such wonderful goodies.  And it was especially appreciated since I was not up to doing a whole Thanksgiving meal AND a fruit pie by myself.  Thanks, Honey!

I did, however, make this gorgeous pie!  I used a recipe from my new cookbook from the Pioneer Woman (and, yes, a frozen pie crust from the grocery store!).  It was easy and decadent.  Yum!

My favorites gathered around the dining room table for the Big Meal!

The menu: Turkey and gravy, green bean casserole, frog's eye salad, stuffing, Mom's famous rolls, sweet potatoes, and pumpkin and cherry pies.  Yum!
I am thankful, thankful, thankful for such a great Thanksgiving Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment